Call 800.537.2050 to Speak with VA Mortgage Specialist Today

VA Home Loan Eligibility FAQS

  • 1. How do I prove my VA Home Loan eligibility?

    You will have to apply for a VA Loan with any mortgage lender that participates in the VA Loan Program. At, powered by Magnolia Bank, we specialize in VA Home Loans. So, just being on our site is a great start! To prove you are eligible for a VA Home Loan, you will meed to get a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. At, we will help you complete this form and get it approved.

  • 2. How do I get a Certificate of VA Home Loan Eligibility?

    VA determines you eligibility and will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility to be used in applying for a VA Loan. At, powered by Magnolia Bank, we will electronically request your certificate of eligibility through the VA’s Automated Certificate of Eligibility system called ACE. This system allows us to input certain data about the veteran. If your records are in the VA’s corporate database and you are eligible, the system will issue your certificate online and will be printed in our office instantly! If you by any chance are not in the system, we will assist you in the process and will ask you to provide one of the documents explained in the next question.

  • 3. What is acceptable proof of military service?

    Regular, Active Duty Military Members: You must include an original statement of service signed by, or by direction of the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit, which identifies you and your social security number and provides your date of entry and the duration of any time lost.
    Discharged from Regular, Active Duty after Jan. 1 1950: A COPY of DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, should be included with your eligibility form.
    Discharged from Regular, Active Duty after Oct. 1 1979: DD Form 214 copy 4 should be included.
    Discharged from Selected Reserves or the National Guard: You must include copies of documentation of at least 6 years of honorable service.
    Discharged from Army or Air Force National Guard: You may submit any of the following: NGB Form 22, Report of Separation and Record of Service, or NGB Form 23, Retirement Points Accounting, or it’s equivalent.
    Discharged from Selected Reserve: You may submit a copy of your latest annual points statement and evidence of honorable service. It is your responsibility to furnish adequate documentation of at least 6 years of honorable service.
    Active Duty Selected Reserves or National Guard Member: You must include an original statement of service signed by the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters showing the length of time you have been a member. At least six years of honorable service must be documented.
    If you have not fulfilled your 6 years of required duty: You may be eligible for a VA home loan by serving 90 days of active duty way time service with an honorable discharge. This requires Form DD214 as proof of war-time service.

  • 4. How do I obtain proof of military service?

    You may print out and use the Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Record. This form should be completed and mailed to the appropriate custodian of military service records. Instructions are provided on the form, however, one of our loan specialist at, powered by Magnolia Bank, can help you fill this out and mail it to the correct address.

  • 5. Is the surviving spouse of a deceased veteran eligible for VA Home Loan Benefits?

    In some cases, yes. The surviving spouse of a veteran who died on active duty or as the result of a service-connected disability is eligible for the home loan benefit. In addition, if the surviving spouse obtained a VA home loan with the veteran prior to his or her death regardless of the cause of death, they may obtain a VA guaranteed interest rate reduction refinance loan.

  • 6. Are children of living or deceased veterans eligible for the home loan benefit?

    No, the children are not eligible, but the spouse may be eligible in certain circumstances. (See question 5.)

  • 7. Can I receive another VA Loan if I have already obtained one?

    Yes, your eligibility is reusable depending on the circumstances. One of our VA Loan Specialists at, powered by Magnolia Bank, can guide you through your options according to your unique situation. To obtain restoration of eligibility, a veteran must fill out VA Form 26-1880 and send to the Eligibility Center. It is best to include evidence that the prior loan has been paid in full and if applicable the property disposed of in order to prevent delays in processing.

  • Do you have more questions?

    We can help. At, powered by Magnolia Bank, we understand that your situation is unique, and you need direct, personal assistance in obtaining your VA Home Loan. Give us a call at 800-537-2050 to speak with a VA Home Loan Specialist today, or fill out the form below to get started as quickly as possible. We will be contacting you shortly and look forward to helping you through this exciting home-buying journey!